Firefly Ice: Development: PCB to 3D
The PCB to 3D app reads an Eagle board file and generates a Rhino 3D script to create a 3D model of the board.
- Get the board layout from the GitHub firefly-ice-electronics repository.
- Get the mechanical files from the GitHub firefly-ice-mechanical repository.
- Get the PcbTo3D program release in the GitHub firefly-ice-production-tools repository.
- Click on "Select board file..." then "Choose..." then select the firefly-ice-blue.brd board file.
- Click on "Select script directory... then "Choose..." then select the directory where the Rhino 3D script will be saved.
- Enter the PCB thickness in millimeters.
- Click on "Generate Rhino 3D Python Script". A 2D drawing of the PCBA is shown and the script is saved to the script directory.
Open Rhino 3D, type "RunPythonScript", then select the generated script file. The script will create the 3D PCB model.
Note that you must have a 3D model for each part that is placed on the PCB so that the script can instantiate it. The "packages" directory with these models must be in the same directory as the script. The firefly-ice-mechanicals GitHub repository contains a script directory which contains a "packages" directory with the 3D models for the parts that are used in the Firefly Ice.